I struggled and experimented with different bindings ... first I tried doing zig-zag machine stitches on the binding, which came out OK on a set of lime-green fishy-themed potholders that I made as a housewarming gift for Kim of A Peach In Stitches:
|Lime-green fishy-themed potholders, with zig-zag machine stitched binding.|
|Other side of the lime-green fishy-themed potholders.|
|Some kitchen towels that I added decorative fabric to, to go with the potholders.|
|Potholders and towels all bundled up for a housewarming gift.|
My Mom's kitchen theme is strawberries, so this meant digging into the stash of strawberry fabrics! I then tried to do the binding using purchased double-fold tape (potholder in lower right corner, below) ... which worked OK, but was really difficult (and not very neat looking) because the potholders are so thick. So, for the remainder I reverted to my usual double-fold binding with hand stitching on the back for the finish. I had hoped to avoid doing any hand stitching, but this oldie-but-a-goodie produced the best final product. I didn't put any hanging loops on ours because we keep our potholders in a drawer and I find the loops sometimes get in the way when you're actually using the potholder.
|A bunch of new strawberry potholders for our kitchen -- fronts. The Sew4Home Patchwork Oven Mitts are the pair in the lower middle.|
|A bunch of new strawberry potholders for our kitchen -- backs.|