Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Black Opals & Ribbon Candy - Part III

Well, we took the plunge and finally quilted our 'Black Opals & Ribbon Candy' (Part I and II) wallhangings. My Mom finished hers a few months back, and now has it hanging above her bed, and I think it came out great:
Mom's Black Opals & Ribbon Candy wallhanging, August 2013.
I tried a polyester fusible batting, but was not happy with it because it just didn't fuse strongly enough. I did both stitch-in-the-ditch and free motion quilting ... but because the sandwich was shifting a bit, I had some troubles with puckering. But, I don't think it's too noticeable in the end. I was torn regarding what to do for quilting the border, but in the end went with a finished-is-better-than-perfect approach and just did some straight stitching with the walking foot. I think the geometry of that approach is unifying ... but then again, I also think it doesn't complement the border fabric very well. So, next time I'll try something different (like long-arm service!!). For displaying this piece and other finished quilts, I'm planning to install some drapery rods on my bedroom walls similar to the one that's above my Mom's bed (stay tuned for pics).
Holly's Black Opals & Ribbon Candy wallhanging, August 2013.

1 comment:

  1. I think it turned out great! I tried fusible batting once and was really unhappy with it, too.

    ReplyDelete