Tuesday, October 22, 2013
Heron Pond Wallhanging
This was the first quilt kit that I ever bought (I think over ten years ago?)!: "Heron Pond" by McKenna Ryan Quilt Designs. I still love it, and this past January decided to finally make it. I mostly used the fabrics that came with the wallhanging kit, except for the border and the dragonflies. I think McKenna Ryan's finished version has better contrast, but I do absolutely love the water-y batik fabric that I used for my border. The fusible batting that I used is now causing a bit more rippling than I like, especially in the border fabric ... I'm hoping this might subside after awhile (I really don't want to wash it). So, this project was another experiment with fusible batting that wasn't a huge success. Although I suppose I could pretend that the rippling effects are an intended water-y artistic feature! I also experimented with getting "braver" in my free motion quilting attempts, and am a bit happier this time with the results. Finally, I used some flat-ish copper-like beads for embellishments: the small dragonfly and two leaves near the lily pad. The binding fabric was a bargain find at a recent quilt show.